Temperature Logger

I have finally finished my temperature monitor and logging module, originally designed to monitor beer temperature as it is fermenting (beer, fridge and ambient temperatures). It is an Arduino-based device which measures and displays temperatures from multiple attached temperature probes and logs them to an SD card . This is an old project from last year sometime which has been sitting 95% complete, just waiting on an enclosure and some finishing touches to the code. I posted a separate post about the enclosure design and 3D print, read it here.

Continue reading Temperature Logger

Advertisements

Designing a 3D printed electronics enclosure

This will be a quick post about the design and 3D printing of a custom enclosure for a temperature logger (see full writeup here) – a project which has been sitting on my table 90% finished for about a year now. I always find the enclosure to be the most time consuming and least interesting part of any project. As such an unfortunately high number of them stall at this final stage. 3D printing a custom enclosure is a much more interesting and attractive alternative to my usual approach of attacking a jiffy box with a drill and hacksaw.

The box needs to hold a board roughly 90x50mm, have a slot for an SD card, 3 temperature probe input connectors, a DC jack power input, a 16×2 character LCD and 3 pushbuttons. The design was all done in Autodesk Fusion (see my previous post) and printed on my Printrbot 3D printer (see my previous post). There were several iterations and test prints along the way to check sizing and tolerances and to test out some different designs. The final design can be found on my Autodesk account here.

Continue reading Designing a 3D printed electronics enclosure

Sichuan Saison: Mark II

So I’ve been going through a nostalgia period with my brewing, and this week it was time to make another go of my Sichuan Saison. Last time, I’d used a White Labs yeast (no. 565). This time round I decided to keep it simple with a Wyeast Belle Saison packet. There were a few other changes I decided to make, here and there. One was the addition of Candy sugar, to make it have a little more kick. Another was the use of a Light malt, rather than a pilsener malt extract, lending it a little more body.

IMG_6336.jpg

Continue reading Sichuan Saison: Mark II

Servo Motor Control with Mojo FPGA board

This post is part of my series on building a kinetic sculpture with the Mojo  FPGA development board. (Part1 Part2)

My Mojo development board finally turned up and so I’ve been playing around with it for the last week. This post  is just a quick update of some fist test code to control some servo motors and sweep them back and forth. The end goal of this project is full independent control of multiple servos to create moving sculptures. See this post for an overview of the project.

Continue reading Servo Motor Control with Mojo FPGA board